Newport State Park is mostly open. Here is what you need to know:
- Park offices are closed. Drive-up window will be open on Saturdays in January from 10am to 2pm. The self-registration kiosk (just outside the park office) is available anytime.
- 2021 annual state park stickers available for purchase online and by phone. Information is here.
- Backpack or bike-in camping is available. Reservations required. Make reservations by phone (1-888-947-2757) or online.
- Group camping for 50 people or less is available. Reservations required. Make reservations by phone (1-888-947-2757) or online.
- All park programs and events are cancelled until further notice.
- Newport-related clothing and merchandise is available for purchase at Kick Ash Coffee in Ellison Bay.
- Park hours are 6:00am to 11:00pm.
The Newport Wilderness Society invites you to explore beautiful Newport State Park.
Newport State Park is Wisconsin’s only formally-designated wilderness park. Located near the tip of the Door County peninsula, it includes 2,373 acres of evergreen and hardwood boreal forests, wetlands and upland meadows and is situated along 11 miles of rugged Lake Michigan shoreline.
We have 26 miles of year-round ‘silent sport’ trails (hiking, cycling, cross-country skiing, snowshoeing). Trails are considered easy to moderate, with no great elevation changes. Newport has 16 hike- or bike-in wilderness campsites, all with access to either the Lake Michigan or Europe Lake waterfronts.
In 2017, Newport received Wisconsin’s first Dark Sky Park designation. Because of the park’s location along the shores of Lake Michigan and its absence of artificial light, the nights are remarkably dark and provide exceptional opportunities for viewing the night sky.